With all stacks, caution is recommended. Nootropics are powerful, and all brains are different, so combining them may have risks. Always make sure you try out the components individually first to verify that they work as intended for you, and don’t have any unwanted side effects. Beginning with smaller doses and building up to the recommended dosage is a commonly recommended precautionary technique.
Melatonin taken on its own is a well-known, effective and natural sleep aid that can help you achieve a deep and restful sleep on your terms. However, a lesser-known fact is that when combined with L-Theanine, the two work together to not only help you fall asleep quickly but also to facilitate high-quality sleep that provides further cognitive benefits.
Early research shows that L-theanine likely increases alpha brain waves and prolongs the REM stage of the sleep cycle, stimulating the brain’s learning and memory centers.
In addition, L-Theanine doesn’t have any sedative effect (which is why you can take it in the morning without issue), but its powerful anxiolytic effect (read: anti-anxiety) reduces stress and leaves you feeling calm and relaxed. The lack of prolonged sedative effects of both Melatonin and L-Theanine means they can be taken safely as an excellent alternative to other sleep medications that may leave you feeling drowsy during the day.
Combine melatonin and L-theanine to get a great night’s sleep and wake up feeling sharper than you did yesterday.
Check out our separate guides on Melatonin and L-Theanine to learn more about each of these nootropics.
Capsules per day: 1 of each, 60 mins before desired sleep time.
(Note that with Melatonin more does not mean better. Melatonin follows a U-shaped response curve, which means that it has a weaker effect as you take more. We’ve set the dosage of our Melatonin capsules at the clinically recommended amount of 300mcg for peak effectiveness.)
Effect duration: both Melatonin and L-Theanine have a duration of approximately 2 – 4 hours (with Melatonin peaking at 1 hour). The sedative effects of Melatonin will wear off completely after 4 hours, ensuring you wake up alert and without the drowsy feeling that sleeping pills can induce.
For more information please see the individual product pages.
- Melatonin is a Central Nervous System (CNS) depressant and should not be taken with other CNS depressants without medical oversight. If you are taking CNS depressants (such as sedative medications including clonazepam (Klonopin), lorazepam (Ativan), phenobarbital (Donnatal), zolpidem (Ambien), etc) speak to your doctor before taking therapeutic Melatonin.
- Melatonin is also reported to interact with anticoagulants, immunosuppressants, and diabetes medications. If you are taking any of the above, please consult a medical practitioner before taking melatonin.
- While Melatonin can be taken frequently, extended use of L-Theanine can cause some build-up of tolerance, so take 4 – 7 days off if you notice diminished effects.
- Do not take Tianeptine if you are currently on MAOIs or have been in the previous 14 days.
- Do not consume alcohol if you have taken Tianeptine.
- Alcohol note: Drinking alcohol after taking Melatonin may prevent Melatonin from working properly. In general, alcohol may also reduce sleep quality.
Always consult with a qualified healthcare physician before taking any new dietary supplement. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. For further information, see the individual product pages for Melatonin and L-Theanine.